Introduction to Azure ExpressRoute - Dedicated Network Connection
What is Azure ExpressRoute?
Azure ExpressRoute is a Microsoft Azure service that provides a dedicated and private network connection between your on-premises data center or network and Azure. It offers a more reliable, low-latency, and secure connection compared to public internet connections, making it an ideal choice for businesses with demanding networking requirements.
Key Concepts and Features
Azure ExpressRoute comes with several key concepts and features:
- Private Connection: ExpressRoute establishes a private, dedicated connection that bypasses the public internet, enhancing security and reliability.
- Multiple Providers: You can connect to Azure ExpressRoute through a Microsoft peering location or a service provider, offering flexibility and redundancy.
- High Bandwidth: Azure ExpressRoute supports high bandwidth connections to meet the needs of data-intensive applications and workloads.
- Global Reach: ExpressRoute provides global coverage, allowing you to connect to Azure data centers worldwide.
- Private and Public Peering: You can configure ExpressRoute for private peering to access Azure services or public peering for internet-bound traffic through Azure data centers.
Getting Started with Azure ExpressRoute
To get started with Azure ExpressRoute, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your Azure Portal.
- Create an ExpressRoute circuit, specifying the required bandwidth and peering options.
- Set up the physical connections with your chosen connectivity provider and configure your on-premises network.
- Complete the ExpressRoute circuit configuration and establish the private connection to Azure.
While ExpressRoute configuration typically involves interactions with connectivity providers, here's an example of how you might create an ExpressRoute circuit in Azure using Azure PowerShell:
# Define variables
$rgName = "MyResourceGroup"
$expressRouteName = "MyExpressRouteCircuit"
$location = "East US"
$bandwidth = 1000 # 1 Gbps
# Create a new ExpressRoute circuit
$expressRouteCircuit = New-AzExpressRouteCircuit -ResourceGroupName $rgName -Name $expressRouteName -Location $location -ServiceProviderName "ServiceProviderName" -PeeringLocation "PeeringLocation" -BandwidthInMbps $bandwidth
Azure ExpressRoute provides a dedicated, private, and secure network connection between your on-premises network and Azure, enabling a wide range of use cases, from hybrid cloud deployments to data-intensive applications. It's a critical component for businesses seeking reliable and low-latency network connectivity to Azure services.